2 families escape fire and carbon monoxide scares in Woodbury and Washingtonville

Both families in Woodbury and Washingtonville made it out of their homes safely.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

YONKERS - Two families in Orange County experienced some close calls on Christmas.

In Woodbury, Jeffrey Kwasnaza and his wife and son had just gotten back to their home after celebrating Christmas with family. As they were getting ready for bed, Kwasnaza says they heard noise coming from inside their walls and saw smoke coming out of the heating vents. The family and their pets escaped their Hillside Drive house safely and firefighters say the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Meanwhile, in Washingtonville, a carbon monoxide detector showed the potentially deadly gas was inside a home on McLaughlin Way. A woman says her son, his wife and their two children were taken to the hospital as a precaution and were released. She says she was told by officials that the carbon monoxide leak came from their stove.

For extended interview with homeowners, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612. 

You also may be interested in: