Accused Sparrowbush murderer David Carlson released on bail

Carlson's family says that he was only trying to help police end the manhunt for Acosta-Sanchez.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

GOSHEN - Accused murderer David Carlson, of Sparrowbush, was released from jail today, one week after allegedly shooting a fugitive wanted for rape.

"I'm feeling good," he said. "Glad I got decent bail and glad to be home with my family."

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Carlson is charged with killing rape suspect Norris Acosta-Sanchez. Acosta-Sanchez, 35, was wanted for allegedly raping a girl under the age of 15 and had been on the run for months, evading police capture at least twice before Carlson allegedly killed him last Friday.

Prosecutors say Carlson shot the unarmed Acosta-Sanchez twice with a shotgun, one shell being a fatal shot to the head.

Carlson's family says he was only trying to help police end the manhunt.

Police say Carlson notified them of his whereabouts, which sparked a massive manhunt the day before Acosta-Sanchez was killed.

Carlson will be back in court next week for his arraignment.

You also may be interested in: