Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Weekend family fun: Apples, hayrides, fall crafts and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From fall festivals and fairs to author signings, apples, animals, hayrides and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Kids Apple Fun Workshop, Benner's Farm, 56 Gnarled Hollow Rd., Setauket. On Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon, children will learn all about apples from squeezed, cooked, dried and baked varieties. Price: $35.
2. Estuary Day at the Maritime Explorium, 101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson. Celebrate the coastal areas where fresh and saltwater meet and learn about the fish and other animals while enjoying poetry readings, crafts and a touch tank from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday. This event is free.
3. Family Festival by the Sea at Lido Beach, 530 Lido Blvd. Head to the beach for this free event and enjoy sand sculptures, crafts, children's shows, pony rides, a petting zoo and more from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
4. "Mouseterpiece" Art Event at The Dolphin Bookshop, 299 Main St., Port Washington. Author Jane Breskin Zalben will be at the book store on Sunday at 3:30 to read her newest children's picture book, followed by a craft. Price: $5 material fee for each participant.
5. Village Day at Sands Point Preserve, 127 Middle Neck Rd., Sands Point. On Sunday, from noon to 5:30 p.m., enjoy outdoor activities including a petting zoo, hayrides, pumpkin painting and more. Price: $15 per car.