Last days of a LI icon
The closeout sales for Long Island's retail icon Fortunoff's ends 87 years of operation, 83 of them under the Fortunoff family. The store was started in 1922 along Livonia Avenue in Brooklyn by Max and Clara Fortunoff who sold housewares. In 1957, the couple's children took over and began selling fine jewelry and watches. A Westbury store opened in 1964. The Manhattan store opened in 1979. In 1997, the Mall at the Source opened in Westbury. In 2000, the operation's pillar, chief executive Alan Fortunoff died. In 2005 the store was sold. In a few months, it will be Long Island history.