Money Fix: Funding an IRA before tax time

Men might be better prepared with retirement savings,

Men might be better prepared with retirement savings, but not by much. Photo Credit: iStock

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Looking to reduce your 2012 tax bill? You have until April 15 to fund a traditional individual retirement account. Here's what you need to know.


With a traditional IRA, your contribution is tax deductible, subject to certain conditions, and earnings aren't taxed until you make a withdrawal. You get a broad mix of investment options. You can set one up with a bank, stock brokerage firm, mutual fund or life insurance company. The maximum contribution is $5,000; $6,000 if you're 50 or older.


Put in money you can afford to keep there. If you tap your account before age 59½, you pay both tax (at ordinary income tax rates) and a 10 percent penalty. "Have a cash reserve to cover at least three to six months' worth of expenses," says Michael Goodman, CPA, president of Wealthstream Advisors in Syosset. And if you over-contribute to your IRA, you'll get hit with a 6 percent penalty, points out Jonathan Gassman, CPA, of Gassman & Golodny in Manhattan.


If you're not covered by an employer-sponsored retirement plan, contributions are fully deductible regardless of income. But if you or your spouse participate in a plan such as a 401k or 403b, you can contribute to both -- but you may not be able to take a tax deduction on your IRA contributions, says Goodman.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Talk to your financial adviser. And do consider any fees associated with opening and maintaining your IRA.

The latest LI business news in your inbox daily. Get the Biz Briefing newsletter!

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: