Credit Union Legacy Program Contributes $15,000 to Higher Education Cause
San Antonio, TX (PRWEB) May 18, 2016
For over 20 years, Firstmark Credit Union has been awarding deserving local high school seniors critical scholarships to help them realize their higher education dreams. Nathanael Tarwasokono, President and CEO of Firstmark Credit Union, is proud to announce the 2016 winners of the Frank Price Cunningham & Helen Shipman Cunningham Scholarships. Under this program, fifteen area high school seniors will receive $1,000 each.
“Our Board of Directors believes in the power of education and what it can mean for a young person,” said Tarwasokono. “As an educators credit union, we are deeply committed to helping students and their families reach their full potential.”
This year’s scholarship recipients include:
- Emma Hodgson, Alamo Heights High School
- Mariah Arevalos, St. Anthony Catholic High School
- Matthew Russell, Antonian High School
- Kathryn Budde, East Central High School
- Gayle Talamantez, John F. Kennedy High School
- Alyssa Garza, Southside High School
- Sara Salmon, Harlandale High School
- Alejandro Lopez, Karen Wagner High School
- Madison Morales, Judson Early College Academy
- Payton Green, Winston Churchill High School
- Diane Thongkam, Theodore Roosevelt High School
- Dana Dominguez, John Paul Stevens High School
- Tara Kerestes, Sandra Day O'Connor High School
- Daniel Russell, Luther Burbank High School
- Veronica Santamaria, Sam Houston High School
In 2016, a total of 181 applications were submitted and reviewed by the credit union’s scholarship committee. Applicants must be a Firstmark member, be in the top 15% of their class, demonstrate academic achievement and community involvement in the San Antonio area. The scholarships may be used for any education or education-related expenses students may incur.
“Recognizing students who are leaders in their community and helping our members meet the financial requirements of higher education has always been our goal,” added Tarwasokono. “We are honored to invest in these dynamic students’ future and their dreams.”
The Frank Price Cunningham & Helen Shipman Cunningham scholarships were established to honor the life-long service and commitment of Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham, who served the credit union as president from 1938-1984 and vice president from 1951-1984, respectively. Since 1993, Firstmark has awarded over $200,000 in scholarships to outstanding high school seniors in our community.
Firstmark Credit Union is committed to giving back to our community and making a difference in the lives of others. Founded in 1932 by educators, Firstmark is San Antonio’s oldest state-chartered credit union, managing over $1 billion in assets and serving members throughout Bexar County and many surrounding counties in southwest Texas with sixteen locations. Firstmark is a not-for-profit, member-owned financial institution, dedicated to meeting the needs of our members with innovative products, competitive rates, and personal service. For more information, visit http://firstmarkcu.org or call (210) 342-8484.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/05/prweb13422948.htm