Awards Honor Lex Mundi Member Law Firms for Providing Critical Pro Bono Legal Services to Support Social Entrepreneurs
Washington, DC (PRWEB) May 09, 2016
The Seventh Annual Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation Awards were presented during the 2016 Lex Mundi Leadership Summit and Annual Conference in Berlin. These awards honor Lex Mundi member law firms that have provided critical pro bono legal services - helping to strengthen the global rule of law, support the global social entrepreneurship movement and improve the lives of the world's poor and disenfranchised.
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation (the "Foundation") was proud to honor the following award recipients:
- Akerman LLP, Lex Mundi member firm for USA, Florida
- Alvarado y Asociados, Lex Mundi member firm for Nicaragua
- Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP, Lex Mundi member firm for Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec, Canada
- Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados, Lex Mundi member firm for Portugal
- Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co., Lex Mundi member firm for India
- Udo Udoma & Belo-Osagie, Lex Mundi member firm for Nigeria
“The 2016 honorees demonstrate how members of the Lex Mundi Network are using their pro bono resources of time and expertise to have a tremendous impact on many of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs. The recipients also represent how our member firms, as leading law firms in their jurisdictions, have a larger commitment to growing and strengthening the global pro bono culture”, said the Foundation's Managing Director, Chloe Holderness.
Examples of the diverse group of social entrepreneurs supported by this year’s honorees, as well as other firms within Lex Mundi’s global network, include:
- Convergence launched in January 2016 is the first and only platform that helps public and private investors find and connect with each other to co-invest in blended finance deals in emerging and frontier markets.
- A Home Within provides direct services, education, and advocacy to enhance the emotional well-being of the foster-care community in the United States.
- Roots of Empathy is an award-winning charitable organization that offers empathy-based programming for children, including teaching and model empathy by connecting school children with babies.
- Apopo trains giant African pouched rats to use their keen sense of smell for humanitarian purposes -- such as landmine detection and clearance and tuberculosis detection.
- Luz del Futuro, “Future Light Cooperative,” works to improve the communities of some of Nicaragua’s most marginalized populations that live and work in dumpsites by providing educational and economic opportunities, primarily for women and children.
- Frontier Markets empowers rural communities in India with the innovative distribution – access, training and servicing -- of quality clean energy products.
Through the Foundation, Lex Mundi member firms have provided critical pro bono support to over 450 social entrepreneurs on over 1,000 projects over the last 10 years. This support has enabled social entrepreneurs to grow, scale, deepen their impact and improve communities and lives around the world.
About the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliate of Lex Mundi, the world’s leading network of independent law firms. The Foundation’s mission is to engage Lex Mundi’s global network of leading independent law firms to support and empower those working to bring about high impact and sustainable social change that improves communities and lives. Lex Mundi lawyers provide critical pro bono legal services to the world’s leading social entrepreneurs.
About Lex Mundi
Lex Mundi is the world’s leading network of independent law firms with in-depth experience in 100+ countries. Lex Mundi member firms offer clients preferred access to more than 21,000 lawyers worldwide – a global resource of unmatched breadth and depth. Each member firm is selected on the basis of its leadership in – and continued commitment to – its local market. The Lex Mundi principle is one independent firm for each jurisdiction. Firms must maintain their level of excellence to retain membership within Lex Mundi.
Through close collaboration, information-sharing, training and inter-firm initiatives, the Lex Mundi network is an assurance of connected, on-the ground expertise in every market in which a client needs to operate. Working together, Lex Mundi members are able to seamlessly handle their clients’ most challenging cross-border transactions and disputes.
Member law firms are located throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and North America. Through Lex Mundi’s nonprofit affiliate, the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation, members also provide pro bono legal assistance to social entrepreneurs around the globe.
Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/05/prweb13401211.htm