Google seeks 'sensible solution' in EU antitrust probe

In a new probe announced in May 2013,

In a new probe announced in May 2013, FTC investigators are examining whether Google is using its position in U.S. display ads -- a $17.7 billion industry that includes the sale of banner ads on websites -- to push companies to use more of its other services. (Sept. 26, 2012) Photo Credit: Getty Images

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Google Inc. said it looks forward to "reaching a sensible solution" to the European Union's antitrust probe into the way the company operates its search engine.

"We know that scrutiny comes along with success, and we have worked hard to answer their questions thoroughly and thoughtfully," Kent Walker, Google's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a blog posting today.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The European Commission, the EU's antitrust regulator, has said Google is dominant in Web search and search advertising in Europe and that the Mountain View, California-based company may harm competition. EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia has sought a deal with Google to end the antitrust case, while competitors have urged regulators to force Google to change its practices.

Almunia said last month that he would almost certainly seek improvements to Google's initial settlement offer and also extended until this week a market-test period for consumers and rivals to comment.

"We don't want to hamper the very innovations that people like best about Google's services," Walker said in today's blog posting. "That's why we focused on addressing the commission's specific concerns, and we think we did a pretty good job."

The latest LI business news in your inbox daily. Get the Biz Briefing newsletter!

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: