Volkswagen Beetle: 75 Years and nearly 25M sales
Volkswagen's Beetle is among the most historically significant vehicles ever made. Known internally as the Type 1, it debuted in 1938 and was produced on the same platform globally for 75 years and 21 million cars.
In 1997 Volkswagen began building the New Beetle, which it sold through 2011. For the 2013 model year Volkswagen returned to the original Beetle moniker and bestowed it upon a somewhat more conventional-looking vehicle.
Click through to see how the Beetle has evolved through the years.
- | View all
Be the first to rate:Click to rate
More in Cars
- In the Garage: LIers' classic cars
- Weird, clever Long Island license plates
- Most recent vehicle recalls
- A history of Ford Cars
- 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show
- Hyundai cars through the years
- Nine decades of sturdiness: A history of Volvo
- Specialty parts make these 2013's hottest vehicles
- Consumer Reports' most reliable cars
- 2013 Concours D'Elegance at Americana Manhasset
- 2013 Long Island Auto Show
- IIHS Top Safety Picks-plus 2013
- Jeeps through the years