The original section of this Oyster Bay Cove Colonial, which recently sold for $1.15 million, was built around 1690 by Thomas Fleet, a horse and cattle breeder whose father was captain of an English merchant vessel during the reign of Charles II.
Known as Badgewood, it had been listed for $1.249 million.
The elder Fleet landed in Fleet's Cove, east of Huntington, in 1660 as part of a flotilla of 40 ships, according to the book "Walls Have Tongues: Oyster Bay Buildings and Their Stories," by Owen B. Walsh.
In addition to the property where this six-bedroom, six-bathroom with a half-bath, farmhouse now stands, Fleet also owned land in the salt marshes near Jones Beach that was later taken over by New York State.
The house has been expanded over the years, but retains its classic charm, with six fireplaces, antique yellow pine floors and rustic wood-beamed ceilings in some rooms. It is on four acres and has its own natural spring-fed pond, along with a brick patio and a covered side porch.
It was listed with Olympia Rymko of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage. Patricia Cadavid of Daniel Gale Sotheby's International Realty represented the buyer.