Some of the more than two dozen occupants of a house in East Hampton Town that officials cited for overcrowding and other alleged violations have been relocated, according to Nassau County Democratic Chairman Jay Jacobs, the main shareholder in the company that owns the property.
Jacobs said in a telephone interview Monday that his lawyer and the town attorney are working amicably on a temporary restraining order issued Thursday by a state Supreme Court judge in Riverhead. The order required the closure of a portion of the house that town officials said is illegally occupied.
On Thursday, authorities executing a search warrant found 25 young adults living in eight bedrooms in the house at 17 Ocean Blvd. Town officials said the house is supposed to have only four bedrooms.StoryTown: Owners had 25 people living in one homeSee alsoRead the charges
"The temporary restraining order issued is being enforced and I understand they're cooperating," Supervisor Larry Cantwell said Monday in a telephone interview. He added that other specifics pertaining to the order will be reviewed in court.
Jacobs said about 10 occupants living in three bedrooms with bunk beds have been removed from the property and placed in other homes in the Hamptons owned by Glen Cove-based HCDC Holdings LLC. Jacobs, also a managing partner with HCDC, acknowledged that the company owns the Hampton Country Day Camp in East Hampton on Buckskill Road and that counselors live in the sprawling house, but said no portion of the property has actually been closed off.
"We took people out of three bedrooms, and we're getting an engineer or an architect to define by the state building code how many bedrooms can be in that house," Jacobs said. "In the interim, so as not to aggravate the situation, we have removed people from those rooms until it is determined how they can be used."
An Aug. 17 hearing date in Town Justice Court has been set for arguments regarding the 61 alleged building code violations, which include missing smoke alarms, change of use or type of occupancy, use of a single-family home as a dormitory and failure to keep clean and sanitary conditions.
Jacobs, who last week said the allegations were exaggerated, said Monday that the home -- which he said he purchased for $500,000 four years ago in a foreclosure sale -- has seven bedrooms and is zoned for camp use.
"The 'eighth bedroom' is actually a den with a television and couch, and someone had laid a blanket on it, so they [inspectors] thought it was a bedroom," Jacobs said.
He said he wants to comply with town requirements and that after the case is heard in court, if fines are assessed he will pay them.