Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Easter crafts for kids: Fondant egg and chick
While your kids are eagerly awaiting the Easter Bunny, take a break from dyeing eggs and eating chocolate bunnies and try this fun, easy craft from the Michaels Store at Roosevelt Raceway Center in Westbury.
Fondant Egg and Chick
What you need
— 6 baked cupcakes, paper removed
— Rolled fondant, pure white
— Fondant roller
— Pre-made white icing
— Lollipop mold (Try Wilton Springtime Treats at Michaels)
— Candy melts, yellow and orange
— Edible color markers (Wilton)
How to do it
1. Roll out white fondant into a 6-inch circle. Use scissors to make jagged edges all around to look like a cracked egg.
2. Spread a layer of icing in the center of the circle and spread to the edges.
3. Place paperless cupcake upside down in the center, bringing fondant up around the sides of the cupcake. The icing will act as glue to hold the fondant in place. The edges will overlap some on sides.
4. Following directions on candy melts, make chicks.
5. Add a small amount of icing to the top of the egg, then add chick to the top.
6. Use the edible marker to make eye.