This isn't just any 25-ton marble statue. It's one of the last pieces of the North Shore's famed Harbor Hills Estate (they wrote a book about that place). And it was commissioned by the silver fortune heir who owned it in 1910 to replicate the horses at the Champs-Elysees Marly. But when the owners of the statue sold their East Hills home -- and the backyard art they inherited with it -- the buyers decided they didn't want it. Read on to find out what happened.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

 

Photo by James Carbone