Fears that neighbors might be drug-dealing

Ask Amy

Amy Dickinson, Ask Amy Ask Amy

Amy Dickinson is a general advice columnist.

bio | email

DEAR AMY: My husband and I are concerned that something fishy is going on with our upstairs neighbors. A few weeks ago one of the occupants moved out and a new one moved in. Since then, I've come home multiple times (mostly at night) to find the door ajar. We can hear a steady stream of guests being buzzed in at all hours. There is a mysterious lockbox on the fence, and sometimes people loiter outside the front door. We believe they are selling drugs. Our landlords have investigated and haven't uncovered anything strange, but we aren't convinced. I don't think we have enough evidence to take the issue to the police. Short of moving, what can we do about this?

--Wary Neighbor

DEAR WARY: You don't have to investigate the goings-on in order to call the police. Investigating is their job.

It is hard to fathom why your landlord isn't curious about a "mysterious lockbox" on the fence. If there are people gathering at the entrance and coming and going at all hours, you should report this to the police and ask them to drive by to take a look.

DEAR AMY: I am somewhat unsettled by your response to "Rested But Concerned." Chronic insomnia is a condition that is not so easily solved with earplugs and separate mattresses. Many other conditions contribute to this illness. It seems that punishing the mother by insisting that she return to bed with her husband is just another way of "caving to the 10-year-old's demand" and validating the father's hypothetical spiteful behavior.--Sweet Dreams

DEAR SWEET DREAMS: Other readers also expressed your point of view. One solution might be for this mother to start out in the marriage bed and then move to another room later in order to sleep more soundly.

I assume we all agree that the child should not co-sleep with the father.