Los Angeles police confirmed Wednesday that actor Charlie Sheen is the subject of a criminal investigation.
The Los Angeles Times said LAPD spokesman Officer Mike Lopez additionally confirmed that police visited Sheen’s home on March 31 as part of the investigation, and that a search warrant had been obtained. The spokesman could not state the nature of the investigation or the alleged victim.
Both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter said that according to tabloid reports, an audio recording appears to contain Sheen, 50, ranting that he would pay someone $20,000 to kill or harm former fiancee Scottine Ross, known professionally as adult-film star Brett Rossi.
The two began a relationship in November 2013, with the “Anger Management” and “Two and a Half Men” star proposing the following February. They announced eight months later that they had mutually agreed to call off the engagement, though Ross, 26, told People magazine Sheen had ended it with a text message to her.
In December, almost a month after Sheen announced publicly he was HIV positive, Ross filed a lawsuit claiming he had not disclosed the medical condition to her while they were together. “As a result of this exposure, [Ross] she has suffered serious emotional distress from a reasonable fear that she will contract HIV,” states the suit, which also alleges assault and battery.
“The scariest moment was when he pinned me to the wall and he went off on me, and he choked me to the point of where I almost passed out,” the suit also says, according to People, which obtained a copy. “I remember screaming to him, ‘Charlie, I can’t breathe. claims stop, please stop.’ And he just kept saying, ‘I’m going to . . . kill you,’ I remember thinking to myself, ‘Oh my God, he’s going to kill me.’ And I think that was so scary to me because it was the first time I had admitted [it]to myself.”
Sheen’s attorney, Marty Singer, had no comment.