Cory Monteith cause of death an overdose of heroin and alcohol, coroner says
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - "Glee" star Cory Monteith died of an overdose of alcohol and heroin, autopsy results released by a Canadian coroner revealed Tuesday.
"Post-mortem testing, which included an autopsy and toxicological analysis, found that Mr. Monteith, aged 31, died of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol," the British Columbia Coroners Service said in a statement.
"It should be noted that at this point there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith's death was anything other than a most-tragic accident."
The statement additionally said an investigation into his death is continuing and a report will be issued upon its completion.
Coroners Service spokeswoman Barbara McLintock said separately in a video statement that Monteith's family had been made aware of the autopsy results.
"We do on behalf of them ask for privacy as they go through this grieving process," she said. "We do express our most heartfelt condolence to them and to all Mr. Monteith's friends."
The Calgary, Alberta-born actor, who played high school quarterback turned glee-club member Finn Hudson on the Fox series, was found dead in his hotel room Saturday by workers at the Fairmont Pacific
Rim in downtown Vancouver, where McLintock said he had stayed for a week.
In April, Monteith admitted himself to a rehab facility to treat substance abuse, his representative said at the time. He had previously undergone addiction treatment at age 19.