MSNBC suspends Alec Baldwin for anti-gay slurs
MSNBC last night suspended Alec Baldwin, host of its Friday night talk program "Up Late With Alec Baldwin," after he was taped using homophobic profanities and which were subsequently posted on TMZ.
The network declined to issue a statement other than confirming the program had been pulled for two weeks.
Meanwhile, Baldwin issued a statement and apology, which read in part: "I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have -- and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable."
Yesterday morning, a video at TMZ.com showed Baldwin pushing aside a paparazzo and smacking a camera from his hand. Baldwin and the two exchanged words several times, with mutual accusations of assault, while Baldwin later turned and uttered several profanities. He later denied one of them was homophobic, saying that he had called the photographer a "fathead."
Outside his Greenwich Village apartment building yesterday morning, the former "30 Rock" star threatened Robert Moses, a reporter for the local Fox station WNYW/5, the station reported on air and on its website.
Baldwin told Moses, who was covering Thursday's conviction of Canadian actress Genevieve Sabourin for stalking Baldwin, "You're in my way," repeating it when the reporter asked if the actor had any reaction to the conviction.
Then, indicating he would enter the building and return to leave with his wife and infant, Baldwin, 55, warned Moses: "If you're here when my wife and my kid come out, you're going to have a big problem. You know that, don't you?"
In a third incident, Baldwin was also seen on video yesterday afternoon using obscenities at a reporter.
Baldwin's spokesman did not respond to a Newsday request for comment earlier in the day.
No charges were pressed and no arrests made, according to an NYPD spokesman.