Music, concerts, musicians and more.
Best of 2012: Singles #20-16
Happy new year! Last week, we counted down the year's best albums. This week, we look at the Top 25 singles of 2012.
20. Zac Brown Band feat. Trombone Shorty, “Overnight” (Atlantic): A catchy, irresistible R&B number from an unlikely source.
19. The Vaccines, “Teenage Icon” (Columbia): A raucous, indie-rock declaration.
18. Divine Fits, “My Love Is Real” (Merge): Part “With Sympathy”-era Ministry, part The Cure's “Let's Go to Bed” and all kinds of seductive, synthy cool.
17. Lee Fields & The Expressions, “You're The Kind of Girl” (Truth & Soul): Field has been doing the kind of soul-baring R&B that Frank Ocean and Miguel have championed for more than four decades. This shows how he still has some moves to teach the newcomers.
16. Taylor Swift, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” (Big Machine): Another breakup anthem, this time with a foot-stomping, sing-along chorus that sounds like she's trying to gather a stiletto-heeled posse.