Kurt Cobain, lead singer and guitarist of Nirvana, the million-selling alternative-rock trio that made "grunge" a household word, was hospitalized in Rome yesterday morning after an accidental overdose of champagne and a prescription drug, according to wire reports.
Cobain, 27, has a medical history of chronic stomach problems. Cobain was comatose when he was admitted to Umberto I Hospital, where his stomach was pumped, Italian radio reported.. He then was transferred to American Hospital in a Rome suburb, where he regained consciousness five hours later. His medical condition has not been released.
According to Janet Billig, a spokeswoman for Nirvana's management company in New York, "From what we've been told by the doctors, we're optimistic that he will make a full recovery."
Nirvana emerged from the independent rock underground in 1991 when its second album, "Nevermind," sold 10 million copies worldwide. Its 1993 album, "In Utero," was nominated for a Grammy Award.