The year in music: The Throne was king
Yes, 2011 was another challenging year.
Like last year, it was hard inside the music industry and out, as economic uncertainty and cultural uneasiness had nearly everyone on edge. But this year, there was a difference. There were glimmers of hope -- on several fronts.
The debut from The Throne, the collaboration between Jay-Z and Kanye West, became the first major release in recent years to drop without leaking to the Internet first, proving that bootleggers and hackers don't always win. Lady Gaga -- with a major assist from Amazon.com -- offered a different strategy at combating illegal downloading. In the week of the release of her highly anticipated "Born This Way" album, the company put it on sale for 99 cents, essentially eliminating any reason for even the curious not to buy it. (The move, designed to help raise Amazon's profile as a music download seller and cloud service provider, ended up pushing sales of the album over the 1 million mark in its first week.)
In another sign of the shifting times, two artists on independent labels scored No. 1 albums, Cake and Mac Miller, whose "Blue Slide Park" became only the second independently distributed album ever to top the Billboard charts. This year's Grammys also reflected indie labels' growing power, as Arcade Fire, on North Carolina-based indie Merge Records, won the prized album of the year award for "The Suburbs," beating out major-label superstars Eminem, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Jazz singer Esperanza Spalding, from the tiny label Heads Up International, was named best new artist, over teenage sensation Justin Bieber and hip-hop powerhouse Drake.
More important, musicians seemed to be finding new coping mechanisms and sharing them with their fans. While the charts were still packed with club anthems designed to help people dance away their worries, more of them have had a distinct message of hope. Sure, LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" and Britney Spears' "Til the World Ends" dominated the airwaves with mindless escapism, but so did esteem-building hits from Lady Gaga ("Born This Way") and Katy Perry ("Firework") -- both part of the year's "It Gets Better" theme that everyone from Demi Lovato ("Skyscraper") to Lil Wayne ("How to Love") tapped into for at least some part of the year. If only Amy Winehouse could somehow have challenged her struggles in a similar way, we could have celebrated another great album rather than mourning her death from alcohol poisoning in July.
Even Adele moved toward empowerment with her breakup album "21," the year's biggest-seller, going from the bluesy lament "Rolling in the Deep" to the taking-the-high-road ballad "Someone Like You."
And, as usual, Jay-Z offered another blueprint for success -- putting egos aside and working with someone else. What a cray idea! In many ways, Rihanna's current smash "We Found Love" summarizes the year in music nicely with its mantra-refrain. We found love in a hopeless place. We found love in a hope-less place.
And we should feel lucky because we did.
More in Entertainment
- Celebrities at Coachella
- Daniel Radcliffe's many roles
- Lohan's highs and lows
- 'American Idol' Season 13 finals
- Lindsay Lohan's TV and movie roles
- 'American Idol' judges
- Tribeca Film Festival
- 22 best new movies streaming on Netflix
- Stars who smoked pot or were charged with possession
- New York City parties
- Celebrity mug shots
- "Landscapes from Metropolis to Arcadia" exhibit
- Celebrity engagements and marriages
- Beyoncé & Jay Z
- 32 celebs you may not know are related
- David Letterman's notable guests
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs
- #BostonStrong celebs & athletes
- 100 TV shows that made an impact
- Long Island on 'The Ultimate Fighter'
- This week's hot celebrity photos
- Inside Long Island's Soul Sounds Records
- 'Mad Men' photos
- Guess who: LI celebrity yearbook photos
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Celebrity photos: April 6-12
- Billy Joel now and then
- Rock Hall of Famers inducted more than once
- Peaches Geldof
- Simon Cowell
- Scarlett Johansson
- Who's ringing stock exchanges' bells?
- Prince William and Kate Middleton
- Tap dance on Long Island
- Academy of Country Music Awards
- LI's pro wrestling connections
- Miley Cyrus and more rock the Barclays
- Celebrities at Knicks games
- Celebrity photos: March 30-April 5
- 9 best movies to watch On Demand
- Scenes from 'Turn'
- The 25 biggest box office hits of all time
- 'HIMYM' series finale
- Jones Beach acts of 2014
- Gay celebrity couples
- Johnny Depp
- Oscar presenters and performers
- Kids' Choice Awards 2014
- Celebrity photos: March 23-29
- Movies shot on Long Island
- Stan Brodsky exhibit
- 52 reality shows set in NY
- Designers of Coe Hall
- Significant artists of the disco era
- Rising stars on Long Island
- Kunis and Kutcher's sweetest moments
- Kate Middleton's must-see looks Women of pro wrestling
- Celebrities at Coachella Daniel Radcliffe's many roles
- Lohan's highs and lows 'American Idol' Season 13 finals
- The many looks of Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Lohan's TV and movie roles
- 'American Idol' judges Recent notable deaths
- Tribeca Film Festival 22 best new movies streaming on Netflix
- Stars who smoked pot or were charged with possession New York City parties
- Celebrity mug shots Celebrity engagements and marriages
- Beyoncé & Jay Z 32 celebs you may not know are related
- David Letterman's notable guests Sean 'Diddy' Combs
- #BostonStrong celebs & athletes 100 TV shows that made an impact
- Long Island on 'The Ultimate Fighter' This week's hot celebrity photos
- Alexa Ray Joel MTV Movie Awards 2014
- 'Mad Men' photos Guess who: LI celebrity yearbook photos
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame New and old faces of late-night TV
- Celebrity photos: April 6-12 Billy Joel now and then
- Rock Hall of Famers inducted more than once Peaches Geldof
- Simon Cowell 5 must-shop flea markets in NYC
- Scarlett Johansson Who's ringing stock exchanges' bells?
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Academy of Country Music Awards
- LI's pro wrestling connections Taylor Swift
- Miley Cyrus Miley Cyrus and more rock the Barclays
- Celebrities at Knicks games Celebrity photos: March 30-April 5
- 9 best movies to watch On Demand Scenes from 'Turn'
- The 25 biggest box office hits of all time 'HIMYM' series finale
- Lady Gaga Gay celebrity couples
- Johnny Depp Oscar presenters and performers
- Kids' Choice Awards 2014 Celebrity photos: March 23-29
- Movies shot on Long Island 52 reality shows set in NY
- Celebrity splits Significant artists of the disco era
- Kunis and Kutcher's sweetest moments