Newsday Most Extreme Shopper Contest Official Rules
1. Eligibility: Contest open to legal residents of New York, ages 18 or older. Employees of Newsday LLC (the "Sponsor"), its advertising or promotion agencies, parent companies, service providers, agents, officers, subsidiaries or affiliates, or any other persons or entities directly associated with the Contest (collectively, the "Contest Entities") and members of the immediate families of and/or persons living in the same household as such persons are ineligible to enter the Contest. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. This Contest is void where prohibited.
2. Contest Entry Period: The Contest begins on November 8, 2013, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on November 12, 2013 (the “Contest Period”). All times noted for the Contest Period are Eastern Time. To be eligible, entries must be received within the Contest Period.
3. How to Enter: To enter, fully complete the entry form at www.exploreli.com/supershopper. One entry per person. All Entries become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected submissions. No responsibility is assumed for technical, hardware, software or other online entry malfunctions of any kind or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the application. If for any reasons (including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of the Sponsor, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest), the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these Official Rules, Sponsor shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
4. Requirements of Entries: Each Entry must be the original work of the entrant, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. If the Entry contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant, and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, before submission of the Entry, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the use and exhibition of the Entry by Sponsor in the manner set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to request proof of these permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor from any entrant at any time. Failure to provide such proof may, if requested, render Entry null and void. Entrant understands that Sponsor has no obligation to publish, display or otherwise include the Entry in any Sponsor publication or Website. By submitting an Entry, entrant warrants and represents that he/she consents to the submission and use of the Entry in the Contest and to its use as otherwise set forth herein. By submitting your Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify your Entry for any reason, including if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your Entry fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. By submitting your Entry, entrants grant to Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates an unlimited, transferable, exclusive license to use their Entry in editorial publications, advertising material, for promotional purposes, on websites or in any other media form whatsoever that Sponsor may choose without further compensation unless otherwise prohibited by law. You also grant the Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates an unlimited, transferable and exclusive license to edit your Entry for publication. By submitting your Entry, you agree to assume all liability for and indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and its parents, affiliates, employees, contractors and agents from any and all claims arising out of the publication or use of your Entry, including without limitation any failure of your Entry to comply with these Official Rules or any representations being made by you herein.
5. Judging: (a) To become a Contestant: Newsday editorial employees will judge all eligible entries received, and will select five (5) contestants, based on the answers provided to the questions on the entry form as to the entrant’s qualifications to be an “extreme shopper.” Contestants will be notified on or about November 14, 2013, via email and/or telephone. Contestants must respond to the selection notification by Nov. 16, 2013, and execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and release by Nov. 18, 2013. If Contestant fails to do so, he/she will be disqualified, and an alternate Contestant will be chosen. By accepting the offer to become a Contestant, Contestant grants to Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates the right to use his or her name, likeness, image, voice, testimonial and/or biographical information, in advertising and promotion in all media without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. Contestant understands and agrees, and expressly grants to Sponsor the right to publish Contestant’s photograph and biographical information in advertising and promotional materials in all media, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. The decisions of the judges and Sponsor with respect to the selection of the Contestants are within Sponsor’s sole discretion and shall be final
(b) To win the Prize: Commencing at 12:00 a.m. on Friday, November 29, 2013, through 11:59 p.m. on Friday, November 29, 2013 (the “Shopping Period”) each Contestant will go shopping at his/her choice of stores/merchants on Long Island. While shopping, each Contestant must provide regular updates on his/her progress via Twitter and Instragram, which will be fed into a live feed on ExploreLI.com. At the conclusion of the Shopping Period, all purchases made will be added up and the Contestant who saved the most money (calculated as a percentage), compared to the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, will be the winner. Only purchases made during the Shopping Period at a physical store location on Long Island (and not online), are eligible. The decisions of the judges and Sponsor with respect to the selection of the Winner and in regard to all matters relating to this Contest are within Sponsor’s sole discretion and shall be final. Winner will be notified on or about December 6, 2013, via email and/or telephone.
6. Prizes: One (1) First Prize winner will receive an American Express gift card in the amount of $100.00 and a one (1) year, seven-day subscription to Newsday, via home delivery. Approx. prize value: $465.00.
Winner is solely responsible for all state, local or federal taxes associated with the winning of the prize. Any difference between the stated value and the actual value of a prize will not be awarded to the winner. Prizing is subject to expiration dates and will not be extended. Prizing is not refundable or redeemable for cash or credit at any time, nor will prizing be replaced if lost or stolen. Prize may not be sold or transferred to a third party. No substitutions are allowed, except by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Other prize restrictions may apply.
7. General Conditions: By participating as a Contestant and/or accepting a prize, Contestant/winner grants to Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates the right to use his or her name, likeness, image, voice, testimonial and/or biographical information, in advertising and promotion in all media without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. By participating as a Contestant and/or acceptance of prize, Contestant/winner agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and its parent companies, affiliates, employees, contractors and agents from any and all liability for injuries and damages sustained in connection with participation in the Contest and/or the acceptance and use of the prize. Prize winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility and release within five (5) calendar days of notification and before distribution of prize. Any prize notification not responded to within forty-eight hours, any affidavit/release returned as undeliverable, and/or failure of winner to return the affidavit and release will result in disqualification from the Contest, prize forfeiture, and in an alternate winner being selected by the judges. In the event winner fails to claim his/her prize or fails to meet the eligibility requirements, such winner will forfeit his/her prize and an alternate winner will be selected by the judges. If winner is unwilling or unable to accept any portion of the prize package, that portion of the prize will be deemed as forfeited by the winner and no substitution will be made except at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
8. Winners List: For identity of winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Winners List, Extreme Shopper Contest, Newsday, 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747, by May 31, 2014.
Sponsor of this Contest is Newsday LLC (Sponsor or Newsday), 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747.