Thoughts, ideas and videos from the world of movies, music, TV and everything else pop culture.
Lindsay Lohan birthday surprises: 28 notable moments
It looks like the surprise is on us! Wednesday Miss Lindsay turns 28, in one piece while continuing to make headlines with her antics.
Most recently in the news for landing a role in a London theater revival of David Mamet's "Speed-the-Plow," Lohan never fails to shock, whether for good deeds or bad. We'll have to wait until Sept. 24 to see if she can make it in front of a live audience.
In the meantime, her birthday finds us reminiscing on the many exploits of Long Island's celebrity gift that keeps on giving. Check out Lohan's 28 most wow-worthy moments in honor of her special day.
1. Back in 1998 Lohan completely nailed her performance in "The Parent Trap," starring as long-lost identical twins on a mission to get their parents back together. She surely proved as an up-and-coming kid star.
2. She scored a role co-starring opposite Jamie Lee Curtis in the box-office hit "Freaky Firday."
3. Beating Paris Hilton to iTunes, Linday Lohan released her debut album "Speak" in 2004, which, despite critical eyeball rolling, became a platinum seller.
4. Lohan won a lead role in the Tina Fey-penned 2004 film "Mean Girls," receiving a number of MTV Movie and Teen Choice Awards for her performance as a teen attempting to survive high school.
5. In 2005, the same year as her clunker of a film "Herbie Fully Loaded," parents Dina and Michael Lohan separated.
6. Something was clearly off in Lohanland in '05 as the actress' dramatic weight loss saw plenty of documentation via photos of her stick-figure-like physique.
7. The star's relationship with Paris Hilton publicly shifted from friends to foes after a May 2006 TMZ video, in which oil heir Brandon Davis called Lohan "fire crotch" (among other slurs) while Hilton giggles uncontrollably, went viral.
8. Despite her many accolades, Lindsay recieved a 2006 Razzie nomination for worst actress after her lead performance in "Just My Luck." Don't feel bad if you've never seen or heard of it.
9. Lilo's personal life began to impede her professional career on the set of "Georgia Rule" (2006). She had to be sent to the hospital during filming for "heat exhaustion" when it was more likely she was just spending her nights partying a bit too hard.
10. In response to Lohan's poor behavior on set, a letter was realeased by James G. Robinson, the CEO of Morgan Creek Productions, stating: "You have acted like a spoiled child and in so doing have alienated many of your co-workers and endangered the quality of this picture."
11. Lindsay took a tumble at Milk Studios during New York Fashion Week and fractured her wrist in two places, leaving her to battle a law suit in 2006.
12. In 2007, Linds was arrested after suspected drunken driving in a car chase. She was charged with a DUI, posession of cocaine and driving with a suspended license.
13. To top off the year, Lindsay pleaded guilty to driving under the influence and misdemeanor cocaine use. She was sentenced to community service, jail time and 3 years of probation.
14. Lohan released a statement regarding her bad choices in 2007: "It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs."
15. Even Lohan's acting career took a huge hit when she earned 2 Razzies for her role as a stripper in "I Know Who Killed Me" (2007).
16. A video of Lindsay snorting cocaine in a nightclub bathroom went viral in the same year.
17. Lohan got a reputation as a thief after stealing Masha Markova's mink coat from a party in 2008.
18. No one expected Lohan to get involved in presidential politics during the 2008 election. When she offered to help Barack Obama get his message out to younger audiences, she was denied by his campaign staff.
19. Lohan became a legal laughing stock when she tried to sue E*Trade for defamation of character. The company ran a Super Bowl ad featuring a line delivered by talking babies saying, "that milkaholic Lindsay." Unfortunately for her case, she wasn't the only person inthe world named Lindsay.
20. Lindsay's first attempt at Hollywood after rehab was "Labor Pains," which didn't even make it to the big screen. Instead, it was dumped straight to ABC Family.
21. She admitted in a February 2010 Insider interview to hoarding hundreds of shoes in her bedroom. She said it's an issue she has "to work on."
22. The alcohol detection bracelet she rocked as a daily accessory sounded its silent alarm on the night of the MTV Music Awards in 2010. LiLo was sentenced to jail time as well as rehab.
23. Keeping up the bad behavior, Linds showed up with an "(Expletive) You" design stenciled onto her middle finger at a parole review in 2010.
24. Lindsay was dismissed in 2011 from playing lead role in "Lovelace," the biopic of '70s porn star Linda Lovelace due to personal issues that delayed the film. Amanda Seyfried ended up taking her place.
25. Lindsay called the cops after her father tried to stage an intervention at her Beverly Hills home in 2012. She claimed he was invading her privacy.
26. Lohan was given a shot at playing Elizabeth Taylor in the Lifetime original movie "Liz and Dick." The made-for-cable film ended up flopping.
27. An attempted comeback film, 2013's Paul Schrader-directed "The Canyons," saw our girl grab headlines more for starring opposite adult-film actor James Deen than her acting.
28. Shortly after rehab, Lindsay signed on to film "Lindsay," an eight-episode reality show on Oprah's OWN Network. Dubbed a "docu-series," it was notable for its lack of action, though Lohan did reveal she had a miscarriage during filming.
That's a wrap! 28 years, 28 major moments in the life and times of Merrick's own.