The show just might go on. Ben Sprecher, lead producer of "Rebecca: The Musical," confirms that his rights to the beleaguered production have been extended another year from his original deadline of December 2012, Newsday's Linda Winer reports. If the show does not open on Broadway in 2013, Sprecher and producing partner Louise Forlenza will have to refund more than $6 million to past backers.
"Rebecca," based on the Daphne du Maurier thriller, was derailed last fall by a thriller's worth of intrigue involving outside investors. Mark Hotton, of West Islip, was arrested on charges that include the creation of fictional investors to fabricate a $4.5 million commitment to the show.
"Everyone knows that 'Rebecca' is a valuable show," Sprecher told Newsday Thursday. "And these crazy problems made it a very visible show." Sprecher is beginning to raise the same $4.5 million that he says already had been raised and lost three times. Sets and costumes are in storage in Connecticut.