Martin Sheen to join 'Anger Management'
Related media100 TV shows that made an impact Movies based on TV shows Clips from TV shows TV Zone blog
BEVERLY HILLS -- Martin Sheen, father of Charlie (who else?), will join his son's new FX comedy, "Anger Management," the network said yesterday at the TV critics tour here.
Sheen's series -- his first since the spectacular flameout on "Men" -- got some flak from critics when it launched but ratings have been decent. Landgraf said the odds are now "overwhelming" that the network will pick up the entire 90 episodes that were originally agreed upon (most series are happy to get a 13-episode order.)
Sheen, on stage at the Beverly Hilton's International Ballroom for the ongoing TV critics press tour, said of his father's character that "we have incorporated certain things that are specific to me as a wink and a nod."
Sheen was asked about his well-publicized travails of last year: "It was a crazy time, a dream I couldn't wake up from. I learned a lot -- stick to what you know and don't go out on the road to 21 cities with no act."
Landgraf said he's creatively happy with the show. Said he, "the entry of Martin Sheen's character will give an extra dimension to the show that'll make it a multifamily generational show, and if you think about what was successful with 'Two and a Half Men,' that is a multigenerational family show."
'Modern Family' deal reached
TV's top comedy is back in business. "Modern Family" and the studio that produces it reached a deal with the cast late Friday, abruptly ending a dispute that threatened -- or so suggested various reports over the last few days -- the season launch in September.
Details were not released though Deadline and the Los Angeles Times said the six adult cast members, who had sued 20th Century Fox TV last week and who had refused to attend a table read, nearly trebled their per-episode salary to $175,000. They also agreed to remain with the show through eight seasons, should "Modern Family" make it to that mark, making at least $300,000 per episode by then.
"There are a lot of people whose jobs it is to get in there and stir things up," the show's co-creator, Steve Levitan, told reporters at the TV press tour here. "And that's what happened."
The timing of the dispute was probably not coincidental, beginning just days before ABC's portion of the press tour when the standoff probably would be expected to overshadow ABC's other news, like the new cast of "Dancing with the Stars."
Last Tuesday, the six adult stars -- Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen, Eric Stonestreet, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ed O'Neill and Sofia Vergara -- sued the studio to void their contracts. They dropped the suit Friday.