News, scoops, reviews and more from TV land.
ABC News anchor and correspondent Amy Robach, who underwent an on-air mammogram last month to launch "Good Morning America's" coverage of Breast Cancer Awareness month, announced Monday that doctors established from that examination that she has breast cancer.
During Monday's program, Robach, 40, said doctors had not yet determined what stage the cancer had progressed to, or whether it had spread. But she told "GMA" co-anchor Robin Roberts that she had decided upon "very aggressive" treatment, and would undergo a double mastectomy Thursday.
"I'm young, and hopefully have a lot of time in front of me, Robach said, a mother of two daughters, and stepmother to three sons. She is married to actor Andrew Shue.
During yesterday's program, Robach said she had never had a mammogram, and in a blog posted after her on-air announcement wrote that she was reluctant to do one even as part of "GMA's" coverage.
"That day, when I was asked to do something I really didn't want to do, something I had put off for more than a year, I had no way of knowing that I was in a life-or-death situation," she wrote.
She also noted that only after the surgery -- which will be followed by reconstructive surgery -- will she learn about additional treatment options "but I am mentally and physically as prepared as anyone can be in this situation."
Robach joined ABC in May 2012, from NBC News where she had been a national correspondent and weekend anchor on "Today."
(Newsday.com app readers, watch here: http://bit.ly/1dhn0zK):
The CW's new drama crop has scored a perfect trifecta: A Pick-up, pick-up and ... pick-up. The network's three new dramas, "Reign," "The Originals" and "The Tomorrow People" were each handed a full season.
Yes, that's unusual and for The CW -- long appended with that mean word "struggling." It's a big win, too. The shows got decent reviews -- OK, fine, if you insist, the more accurate term is "mixed" but "mixed" is better than 'bad" -- and The CW's overall viewership (per The CW) is up 9 percent so far this season, too.
"In just a few seasons, we have built a much stronger prime-time schedule," said Mark Pedowitz, CW chief. "Our on-air ratings are up year to year, and our digital viewing continues to grow exponentially. We're excited about the creative momentum the producers have established for all three of our new series, and now our fans will have the chance to see the full stories unfold for them this season."
An interesting twist at "The Voice:" The show is deploying something called "the instant save," which will give viewers the chance, via Twitter, to pull an ejected singer from the brink. Starts tomorrow. Here's an explanatory clip...
...Read more »
Now Angela Lansbury has weighed in on the misguided decision to remake "Murder, She Wrote" and her blunt assessment is as follows: A mistake, or at least a mistake to call the show 'Murder, She Wrote."
Here's what she has told The Associated Press:
“I think it’s a mistake to call it 'Murder, She Wrote,' because 'Murder, She Wrote' will always be about Cabot Cove and this wonderful little group of people who told those lovely stories and enjoyed a piece of that place. “[They] also enjoyed Jessica Fletcher, who is a rare and very individual kind of person,” she continues. ”So I’m sorry that they have to use the title 'Murder, She Wrote,' even though they have access to it and it’s their right.”
She praises Octavia Spencer, who will star in the NBC remake, calling her “absolutely wonderful, a lovely actress . . . So I wish her well, but I wish it wasn’t in 'Murder, She Wrote.'”
Bill Cosby told Yahoo TV late last week that he's developing a new family situation comedy with one of his former partners on "The Cosby Show" -- Tom Werner. This was left unsaid however: whether he'll actually star, though based on the description he provided to the website, that appears unlikely.
Cos -- talking about his Nov. 23 comedy special for Comedy Central, a first in many...Read more »
If you missed the big breakfast show space news this morning... "Today" and NBC have signed an exclusive deal with Richard Branson to air his first commercial sub-orbital space flight - probably next August.
Cue the corny jokes! Like: "Gravity" will not on on the in-flight movie menu; or "hope Matt Lauer has shaved by then..."
From the...Read more »
Is there really a debate over a cartoon sponge? Some corners of the media would have you believe that a major D.C. storm — in the immediate absence of more pressing matters, like the government shutdown — has enveloped SpongeBob SquarePants, and his show. It's all pivoting around a Monday episode where 'Bob is laid off at the Crusty Crab, and then wonders whether to go on the dole . . .
But...Read more »
CBS last night gave the first indication that it doubted the veracity of a subject who was a prominent part of an Oct. 27 "60 Minutes" story on the attack on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi. And this morning, it officially admitted that the subject had misled them. (See post below.) "60 Minutes" will admit the mistake Sunday night.
Lara Logan, who appeared on "CBS This Morning," admitted that she and the show had been duped by Dylan Davies, who had said he had been at the compound during the attack when in fact he was not. A Washington Post story immediately called the "60 Minutes" piece into question.
"We did not know about that incident report [Davies had filed with his employer] before we did our story. When the Washington Post story came out, he denied it, he said that he never wrote it, had nothing to do with it, and that he told the FBI the same story that he told us. But as we now know, that was not that case." Here's Logan's disavowal, below, though she doesn't fully explain why that would seem to be a fairly simple and routine matter of reporting — checking the employer record on Davies' actions on Sept. 11, 2012 — had been overlooked. The Davies' revelations have propelled "60 Minutes" into the thick of a ferocious debate over whether the Obama administration has revealed everything it knows about what happened in Benghazi a little over a year ago:
"60 Minutes," which Oct. 27 aired a report on Benghazi that almost immediately came under attack as deeply flawed, has finally issued a statement after days of standing by the Lara Logan story:
60 MINUTES has learned of new information that undercuts the account told to us by Morgan Jones of his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound. We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction.
It's unclear what "new information" CBS is referring to. The network has already said it should have revealed that the subject of the report, Dylan Davies, who was identified in the story as Morgan Jones, had written a book that was to be published by a CBS-owned imprint (the network's been caught with its pants down on this sort of thing before, so no big deal). But the larger issue is that Davies told the program something that was at variance with the official report he had filed with his employer concerning the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the embassy, where he was supervisor of the local guards protecting the mission.
He told "60 Minutes," for example, he had heroically scaled the compound wall during the attack to rescue the embassy officials -- four of whom, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, were killed. But he said in his official report he was at a seaside villa, and couldn't get anywhere near it. That was not revealed in the "60" report and now he's thrown fuel on the political firestorm that has engulfed the attack and its aftermath for more thana year, with many critics insisting the Obama administration has engaged in a cover up.
"60" is now deeply in the soup, too.
Bob Newhart, one of the greats of the TV age, is back on TV tonght - reprising his Emmy-wnning Professor Proton, on "The Big Bang Theory." Check out this clip which reveals timing that's about as flawless as timing can be...