News, scoops, reviews and more from TV land.
In the dead of night, or at least very late on a Friday, Fox officially ended the decade-long reign of Simon Cowell: "The X Factor" just got axed.
Fox and Cowell immediately classified the end as business-as-usual: He has to return to the U.K. version, and the implication from Fox's statement is that "X" was only intended to last three seasons.
But....well, you know the truth.
Simon: "I've had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on THE X FACTOR and AMERICAN IDOL. And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!),” said Simon Cowell. “Last year, for a number of reasons, I had to make a decision to return to the U.K. version of ‘The X Factor’ in 2014. So for now, I’m back to the U.K. and I want to thank FOX for being an incredible partner and I also want to thank everybody who has supported my shows. America, I’ll see you soon!”
Kevin Reilly, Fox Entertainment chief: To all of us at FOX, Simon is more than one of the most prolific TV personalities of our time --he’s part of our family. A consummate showman and partner, there’s no one more passionate or creative than Simon, and we feel so fortunate to have enjoyed such a wonderful, collaborative relationship with him over the past 12 years,” said Kevin Reilly, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “Unfortunately, there is no X FACTOR USA without Simon Cowell, but we understand and support his decision to focus on the international formats and on the next phase of his personal life. We wish him the very best, and it’s our sincere hope that we work together again soon.”