Fire breaks out at Cassie's Restaurant in Orangeburg

The Orangeburg FD says they found fire coming from the rear of the building, which spread to part of the roof.

Travel deals

ORANGEBURG - An early morning fire has left a Rockland County restaurant unable to operate.

Officials say the fire happened at around 1 a.m. Sunday at Cassie's Restaurant, located at 203 Route 303 in Orangeburg. A chief from a neighboring community was driving home when he saw smoke and called it in.

When the Orangeburg Fire Department arrived, they found fire coming from the rear of the building, which spread to part of the roof.

Orangeburg Fire Chief Neil Lynady says he believes the fire may have started in the brick oven used to cook pizza, but inspectors have not yet determined the exact cause.

It took a combined effort of about 75 firefighters from Orangeburg, Blauvelt, Tappan, Spark Hill and Central Nyack over three hours to put the fire under control. In addition to the fire damage at the restaurant, there is flooding in the basement and plenty of water damage to deal with.

The restaurant was closed at the time, so there were no injuries to civilians. No firefighters were harmed, either.

Fire officials say no other businesses in the area were threatened by the blaze.

Cassie's Restaurant will not be able to reopen until major repairs have been completed. Owner Ed Rudzin says he is hoping the local favorite of nine years will be back in business soon.
 

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Newsday on social media

@Newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday