Homeless man charged in Newburgh home break-in

A Newburgh city police vehicle. (June 18, 2012)

A Newburgh city police vehicle. (June 18, 2012) Photo Credit: Leslie Barbaro

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A homeless man has been charged with burglary after entering a home in the City of Newburgh on Monday night, only to be fought off by a resident, police said.

John Paul Thomas, 48, was charged with felony second-degree burglary in the 11:05 p.m. incident, Newburgh police said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Residents of a home on East Parmenter Street were sleeping Monday night when one of them awoke to noise in the home, police said. A resident searched the home and found Thomas in one of the bedrooms, police said.

After the two wrestled, Thomas was thrown out the back door of the home and fled, police said. The residents called 911 and police arrived to find a window latch at the rear of the home had been forced open and the screen pulled off.

Officers canvassed the area and found a man in the area of 141 Broadway who matched the description the residents gave, police said. Police questioned Thomas and arrested him, police said.

Thomas was arraigned Tuesday before Newburgh City Court Judge Peter Culkin and sent to the Orange County jail without bail. His next court date is Friday.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

A phone message left with Thomas' attorney, Christopher Berger of Campbell Hall, was not immediately returned Wednesday.


Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: