Lauren Chattman is a cookbook author, freelance writer and former professional pastry chef. Her recipes have appeared in
2 tablespoons walnut pieces
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 large egg
2 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely and finely chop.
2. Turn heat to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold thawed puff pastry sheet on top of paper. Prick all over with a fork. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
3. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over pastry. Arrange apples, overlapping them slightly, on top of pastry, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border of pastry all around. Brush edges of pastry with egg.
4. Bake until crust is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Place honey in a small, microwave-safe bowl and microwave for a few seconds to warm (do not let honey come to a boil). Brush apples with honey as soon as tart comes out of oven. Sprinkle with walnuts. Let cool completely on baking sheet, slice and serve.
Makes 6 servings.