Marge Perry, Newsday's weekly 3 Simple columnist, also writes, broadcasts, teaches and speaks about cooking, food and nutrition.
CHEDDAR-AND-TOMATO STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
3 bone-in chicken breasts (about 31/2 pounds), ribs removed
3 ounces reduced-fat Cheddar, thinly sliced
6 (1/4-inch-thick) lengthwise slices plum tomato (about 11/2 tomatoes)
6 parsley leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a shallow baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Cut each breast across (through bone) in half. Working with 1 piece at a time, pull skin back but not completely off. Place cheese on meat and under skin and top with 1 slice of tomato. Place a parsley leaf flat on tomato and pull skin back over to cover. Repeat with remaining ingredients and place chicken on prepared pan; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Bake 15 minutes; lightly brush the skin with pan juices. (Take care to not brush any melted cheese on the chicken.) Bake until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees, about 15 minutes longer. Makes 6 servings
Nutritional analysis for each serving 302 calories, 13 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 44 g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 196 mg sodium
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
1 cup cornflake crumbs
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3-by-1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Preheat over to 425 degrees. Coat a large, shallow baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine the flour, paprika, cumin. Garlic powder and salt in a bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Put cornflake crumbs in a third bowl.
3. Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, dip it first in the flour, then the egg and finally in the cornflake crumbs. Place on the baking sheet pan and repeat with remaining chicken. Brush lightly with the oil.
4. Bake 10 minutes, turn and bake until the chicken reaches 160 degrees, about 2 minutes longer. Makes 4 servings
Nutritional analysis for each serving 277 calories, 8 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 504 mg sodium
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bone-in chicken breasts (about 31/2 pounds) ribs removed
1/2 cup apricot preserves
2 teaspoons minced chipotle in adobo sauce (or to taste)
2 teaspoons lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine the chili powder, cumin and salt; season the chicken with the mixture. Bake 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the glaze: Combine the preserves, chipotle and lime juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes; remove from heat.
4. After chicken has baked 25 minutes, brush half the glaze on the chicken and return to the oven for 3 minutes, until the glaze looks somewhat cooked. Brush the remaining glaze over the chicken and bake until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 160 degrees, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving 334 calories, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 39 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 318 mg sodium