1 pound elbow pasta
½ cup light mayonnaise
3 tablespoons nonfat
1 tablespoon red-wine
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon black pepper
6 gherkin pickles (about 3 ounces) chopped
1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
1 (3-ounce) jar sliced sweet pimentos, drained and chopped
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions in plenty of lightly salted boiling water. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
2. While the pasta cooks, whisk together the mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard and black pepper. (Taste and add salt, if desired.)
3. Toss cooked pasta with the dressing, pickles, olives and pimentos. Serve cold or at room temperature. Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 186 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 115 mg sodium
ROASTED POTATO SALAD WITH BACON AND CHEDDAR
2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch wedges
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup chopped scallions
6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and chopped
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Irish Cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and place in a single layer, leaving space between the pieces, on the sheet pan. Roast until golden and tender, tossing once, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing: whisk together the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, Dijon, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Toss the dressing with the warm potatoes and allow to stand 15 minutes. Toss with the scallions, bacon and cheese and serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 233 calories, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 25 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 484 mg sodium
PEACH, RADISH AND CABBAGE SLAW
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon canola or peanut oil
2 teaspoons honey
6 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups radishes, halved and thinly sliced
2 firm peaches, quartered and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, salt, oils and honey together until the honey is dissolved. Stir in the cabbage, radishes, peaches and sesame seeds. Allow to sit at least 20 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 106 calories, 5 g fat, no saturated fat, 3 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 472 mg sodium