3 simple dishes for mom
Marge PerryMarge Perry
Marge Perry, Newsday's weekly 3 Simple columnist, also writes, broadcasts,
TIP Children can participate in making these dishes for Mom. The youngest children can use a plastic knife to cut strawberries for the cake, add bananas to and fold the crepes, mix ingredients for the Dutch baby and add the fruit and sugar at the end.
ANGEL FOOD CAKE WITH BALSAMIC MACERATED STRAWBERRIES
2 pounds strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 (10- to 12-ounce) round angel food cake
1. Remove stems from berries and cut them in half or quarters, lengthwise, if they are large. Toss with sugar; add the balsamic and toss again. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Place on top of cake and fill center hole. Spoon syrup over berries, allowing it to drip down the sides of the cake. Serve with berries and sauce spooned over each slice. Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving 125 calories, 2 g protein, 30 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 0 g fat, 88 mg sodium
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup Nutella
1. Whisk the eggs until smooth; add the milk and whisk to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt and nutmeg. Slowly whisk in the egg-milk mixture. Set aside for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally.
3. Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium; brush lightly with butter. Add a scant 1/4 cup batter and tilt the pan to swirl it around. Cook until lightly golden on the underside, about 11/2 minutes. Use a large spatula to flip the crepe and cook until set and lightly golden on the underside. Transfer to a plate and again brush the pan with butter. Repeat, using up all the batter. As the crepes cook, they may be placed in a single stack on a plate.
4. Place remaining butter in the skillet and add the banana. Cook, stirring, until the banana is lightly golden. Set aside.
5. Working one at a time, spread the surface of each crepe with 2 teaspoons of the Nutella. Place banana slices in single layer on 1/4 of the crepe. Fold the crepe in half, then in half again, forming a wedge shape. Makes 6 crepes.
Nutritional analysis for each serving 190 calories, 5 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 9 g fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 139 mg sodium
MIXED BERRY DUTCH BABY PANCAKE
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon butter
4 cups mixed blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and sliced strawberries, any combination
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar and nutmeg in large bowl. In separate smaller bowl, combine eggs, egg whites and milk. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
3. Melt the butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Pour in the batter and place in the oven until it is golden brown and puffed, 14 to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, toss the berries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
5. As soon as the Dutch baby pancake comes out of the oven, spoon the berries into the center and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut into 6 wedges and serve. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving 218 calories, 7 g protein, 39 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 57 mg sodium