3 Simple Father's Day sandwiches
Marge PerryMarge Perry
Marge Perry, Newsday's weekly 3 Simple columnist, also writes, broadcasts,
DADALETTA (New Orleans-style Muffuletta for Dad)
1/3 cup drained pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 (3 1/2-ounce) sandwich rolls
2 ounces salami
3 ounces provolone cheese
3 ounces ham
4 ounces low-sodium turkey breast
1. Combine the olives, thyme, basil, oregano, olive oil and vinegar in a bowl.
2. Split the rolls horizontally. Scoop the bread out of the center of each split half, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick wall around the perimeter. Brush the cut side of the rolls with the liquid in the olive mixture. Spoon the olives evenly over the 4 bottom halves. Top each with salami, provolone, ham and turkey. Close the sandwiches and wrap each tightly in plastic wrap. Place the sandwiches on a flat platter, top with plate or board and add cans on top of the board to weight the sandwiches. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Unwrap the sandwiches, cut in half and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 507 calories, 23 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 26 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 1,341 mg sodium
TIP: The longer the Dadaletta sandwich sits, the more the dressing soaks into and flavors the bread.
PULLED BARBECUE CHICKEN-AND-CHEESE SANDWICH
10 ounces (2 cups chopped) roasted chicken breast
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
2 romaine lettuce leaves, each cut across in half
4 thin slices red onion (optional)
4 hamburger rolls, split (and toasted, if desired)
1. Pull the chicken breast with your fingers to shred the meat. Combine the shreds in a microwave-safe bowl with the barbecue sauce and cheese; microwave 1 minute. Stir, and microwave 30 seconds longer if the mixture is not warm throughout.
2. Place half a lettuce leaf on the bottom of each hamburger roll and top with onion (if using). Spoon the chicken mixture onto the onion, close the sandwich and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 402 calories, 14 g fat, 34 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 850 mg sodium
------TURKEY BLT WRAP
4 (7- to 8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
1/2 cup light mayonnaise, divided
12 ounces sliced low-sodium turkey breast
2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
4 leaves romaine lettuce
8 slices cooked bacon
1. Working one at a time, place a tortilla flat on your work surface and spread 2tablespoons of mayonnaise over the top surface, leaving the outer 1-inch border clear.
2. Top with the turkey, again leaving a 1-inch border clear. Place the tomatoes in a row down the center and top with a lettuce leaf. Place 2 strips of bacon next to each other in a row down the center.
3. Working parallel to the bacon strips, fold one edge over about an inch, then begin rolling the tortilla up to enclose the ingredients. When it is fully rolled, wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes or up to 10 hours. Cut across in half on an angle to serve. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 409 calories, 20 g fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 25 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 1,407 mg sodium