3 Simple fish dishes
Start off the new year by adding more healthy fish dishes to your diet.
TIP To test fish for doneness, place a butter knife or fork directly into the thickest part of the fish and take a peek; it should be barely or not at all translucent, according to the recipe instructions.
COD BAKED IN KALE
6 cups torn kale
4 ribs celery, chopped
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
4 (6-ounce) pieces cod
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, Coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine the kale, celery, olives, parsley and tomatoes in the baking dish; top with the cod. Sprinkle the wine over the fish and vegetables, season with the salt and thyme.
3. Cover loosely with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove the foil, spoon some of the pan juices over the fish and bake another 5 to 8 minutes, until the fish is tender but not dry. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving 273 calories, 35 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 5g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 852mg sodium
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
1. Combine soy sauce, ginger, hoisin, rice vinegar and brown sugar in a bowl.
2. Coat a baking sheet pan with cooking spray (or coat a piece of foil with cooking spray). Place the salmon on the pan; brush with about half the glaze.
3. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes; remove from the oven and brush with the remaining glaze. Broil for another 4 to 5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish), or until the salmon has just a thin line of translucency in the center. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving 371 calories, 35 g protein, 3g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 23g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 470mg sodium
1 1/2 pounds flounder fillets
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine lime, mayonnaise, garlic powder, cumin and pepper in a small bowl, and spread evenly over the top surface of the fish. Combine the bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle evenly over the fish. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until tender but not dry. Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving 220 calories, 22 g protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 12g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 587 mg sodium