Marge Perry, Newsday's weekly 3 Simple columnist, also writes, broadcasts, teaches and speaks about cooking, food and nutrition.
Individual Peach-Blueberry Crisps
4 cups thinly sliced peaches (about 5 medium peaches)
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut in bits
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat 6 ramekins with cooking spray.
2. Lightly beat the egg in a large bowl; add the fruit and toss well. Stir in the sugar, flour and cinnamon; spoon into the ramekins.
3. Make the topping: combine the flour, sugar, oats and salt; work the butter in using your fingertips or a pastry fork until it resembles coarse sand. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven until the filling bubbles and the top is brown, about 45 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 298 calories, 4 g protein, 49 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 11 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 111 mg sodium
Minted Coconut Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Syrup
1/3 cup coconut flakes
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped (plus more for garnish)
3 nectarines, cut in thin wedges
2 kiwi, peeled and sliced
1 pint strawberries, quartered lengthwise
1 cup blackberries
1 cup blueberries
1. Place the coconut in a skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the coconut is lightly browned. Remove from the heat and transfer the coconut to a bowl to cool. Add the honey, lime juice and mint to the warm skillet and stir, allowing the residual heat to help dissolve the honey.
2. Combine the fruit in a large bowl; toss with the syrup. Stir in the coconut. Garnish with additional mint leaves if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 211 calories, 3 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 24 mg sodium
1 7.5-ounce rolled ready-to-bake pie crust
3 cups blackberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12- to 13-inch circle and transfer to the pan.
3. Toss the fruit, sugar and flour together and spread out onto the dough, leaving a 3-inch perimeter clear all the way around. Fold that border up and over the fruit, pleating it as you go. Brush the crust with the egg.
4. Bake 22-25 minutes, until the crust sounds hollow when tapped. Allow to cool before cutting into wedges. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 278 calories, 4 g protein, 45 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 11 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 200 mg sodium
TIP: Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries can be used interchangeably in these recipes, as can plums, nectarines and peaches.