Official Rules Newsday’s Project Prom
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1. ELIGIBILITY. Project Prom is open to legal residents of Queens, Suffolk, and Nassau counties in New York State. The Contest is void in all other jurisdictions and where prohibited or restricted by law. Employees of Newsday LLC (“Newsday”), its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising sponsors and promotional agencies, and any other persons or entities directly associated with the Contest (collectively, the "Contest Entities"), and the immediate family members of each are not eligible.
2. CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD. The "Contest Entry Period" begins at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time on March 7, 2016 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on March 15, 2016.
3. HOW TO ENTER.
a. To enter: 1) Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and supply name, address, email, daytime phone, high school, date of prom, a short essay about why Newsday should buy your nominee’s prom dress and a recent, full-length photograph of nominee (not returnable) or 2) submit via mail to Newsday Project Prom, 235 Pinelawn Rd., Melville, NY 11747; must be postmarked by 03/30/15 or 3) enter online at newsday.com/projectprom, providing all information requested on entry form, essay, and full-length photograph in accordance with the on-screen instructions. All entries (including Photo/Video submissions and Essay submissions) must be received by the end of the Contest Entry Period. Failure to submit all required information and submissions in the manner required in these Official Rules may result in disqualification. LIMIT: One (1) entry per person. In the event more than one entry is received, only the first of such entries shall be eligible to participate in the Contest.
b. Each entrant is required to submit (i) an original photo of the nominee (the "Photo"), and may submit no more than one Photo, and (ii) a short essay explaining why the nominee should be chosen as the winner for the Contest (the “Essay”). Each Photo must be in good taste and must depict the nominated person. Newsday reserves the right to disqualify any Photo for any reason, including but not limited to the entrant’s failure to comply with the requirements in this paragraph. BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, ENTRANTS ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEIR ENTRIES MAY BE POSTED ON WWW.NEWSDAY.COM OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE(S) AUTHORIZED BY NEWSDAY FOR THE CONTEST (COLLECTIVELY "THE WEBSITE"), AT NEWSDAY’S DISCRETION AND CAN BE VIEWED BY OTHER WEBSITE USERS. Submission of an entry grants Newsday, its parent and affiliate companies, its advertising sponsors and promotional agencies, and their respective agents an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual license and right to publish, use, modify, edit, adapt, copy, exploit, and publicly display the entry in any way, in any and all media, without limitation, and without consideration or acknowledgement to the entrant.
c. No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected applications. No responsibility is assumed for technical, hardware, software or other online entry malfunctions of any kind or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the application for the Contest. If for any reasons, (including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Newsday, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the contest), the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these Official Rules, Newsday shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
4. WINNER SELECTION. Eligible entries will be judged by Newsday editors, who will determine, in their sole and exclusive discretion, the winner; BASED ON INFORMATION SUPPLIED IN THE NOMINATING ESSAY. The decisions of the judges and Newsday with respect to the selection of the winner and in regard to all matters relating to this Contest shall be final. Potential winner will be notified on or about April 5, 2015.
5. PRIZES. One (1) winner will receive a prom dress to be worn to the winner’s prom.
First, the winner will be taken shopping by Newsday personnel, during which three dresses of the winner’s choice will be selected (maximum value per dress approximately $500.00). The winner will then receive a make-over and photo-shoot, wearing the three dresses, which will be featured in Newsday and on newsday.com. After publication of the photo-shoot, members of the public will be invited to vote for their favorite dress on newsday.com. The dress with the most votes will be the dress purchased by Newsday and awarded to the winner, which winner will wear to her prom.
Approx. prize value, which includes the dress and make-over: $1,000.00.
Vendors of prizes are subject to change. Each prize must be accepted as awarded and each prize is awarded "AS IS" with no warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied. All expenses and costs associated with a prize not expressly stated as part of the prize package described above are the responsibility solely of the winner. Prize winner is fully responsible for any and all applicable federal, state and local taxes and assessments associated with prize award, receipt and use.
6. GENERAL. By accepting a prize, winner grants to Newsday and the Contest Entities the right to use her name, likeness, image, voice, testimonial and/or biographical information, as well as the name, likeness, image, voice, testimonial and/or biographical information of any individuals appearing in the Photo, in advertising and promotion in all media without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. Winner, by acceptance of the prize, agrees to release Newsday, the Contest Entities, and their parent and subsidiary companies, their officers, directors, employees, agents, shareholders, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, and advertising agencies from all liability, claims, or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with participation in the Contest or the receipt, ownership, or use of the prize. Potential prize winner may be required to execute a certification of eligibility and release (if entrant is not the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which entrant resides, his/her parent/legal guardian must sign), within five (5) calendar days of notification and prior to distribution of prize. Failure of a winner to return the certification and release may result in disqualification from the Contest and prize forfeiture. Additionally, any certification and release returned as undeliverable may result in an alternate winner being selected. Prizes are nontransferable, non-refundable and cannot be redeemed for cash. No substitutions of prizes allowed except by Newsday which reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. In the event a winner fails to claim his or her prize or fails to meet the eligibility requirements, such winner will forfeit his/her prize and an alternate winner may be selected from all remaining eligible entries. If a winner is unwilling or unable to accept any portion of the prize, that portion of the prize will be deemed as forfeited by winner and no substitution will be made except at Newsday’s sole discretion. If Newsday cannot find an eligible winner for a prize, that prize will not be awarded.
7. Winners List. For identity of winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Winners List, Project Prom, Newsday, 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747 by October 31, 2015.
Sponsor of this Contest is Newsday LLC, 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747.