Grilled shrimp skewers
Don't let the shrimp marinate for more than 15 minutes or the lemon juice will begin to "cook" them.
GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS with CILANTRO-MINT CHUTNEY
For the shrimp
Juice of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon garam masala (available at specialty and Indian markets)
1 teaspoon red chili powder, such as ancho or New Mexican
1/4 cup canola oil
1 pound large (21 to 24 count) shrimp, tails left on, shelled and deveined
For the cilantro-mint chutney
1 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves
4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
1 Thai chili, finely minced (or serrano, milder, or habanero, hotter)
Grated zest of 1 lime
1 to 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
3 tablespoons canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat your grill to high for direct grilling. If using wood skewers, soak them in cold water for at least 15 minutes.
2. Marinate the shrimp: Whisk together the lemon juice, garam masala, chili powder and oil in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat in the mixture. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
3. Make the chutney: Combine the cilantro, mint, green onions, Thai chili and lime zest in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1 tablespoon of the honey and the oil and pulse until mixture is slightly loose, adding a little water, if needed; season with salt and pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon honey, if needed.
4. Thread 3 shrimp onto each skewer so the shrimp lie flat. Season with salt and pepper and grill until golden brown, slightly charred on both sides, and just cooked through, about 11/2 minutes on each side.
5. Remove the shrimp to a platter, serve with the chutney and garnish with cilantro leaves. Makes 4 servings.