Mother's Day: The art of eating breakfast in bed
While the charming idea to serve mother breakfast in bed is appealing to young children, Mom may have to embellish her enthusiasm a little to show unbridled appreciation.
Here are some of the issues:
* It may be hard to find a comfortable position for her legs, especially if the tray is lying flat on her lap.
* Many crumbs could tumble onto the sheets, causing unplanned stripping and washing of the bed linens.
* The kids may want to sit on the bed and kvell over their culinary skills, but that could cause the angle of the bed to shift uncomfortably and the coffee and juice to spill.
* There is a rather large gap between the plate on the lap and the mouth, which is not that strategic for drippy waffle syrup.
* The entire meal may have to be consumed with a whole bunch of little people watching every chew and, perhaps, picking off the plate.
* What's a dad to do? Stand there and watch? Go to the kitchen and clean up? Maybe you should all go out for omelets.