Passionfruit orchid tartlets
Related mediaMiche Bacher: Cooking with flowers
3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
1 egg white
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup passionfruit puree
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Pinch of salt
36 micro orchids or 8 to 12 large orchids, fresh or candied
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Thoroughly coat the inside of a tartlet pan with cooking spray.
2. Spread coconut on a baking sheet and toast in the oven -- tossing occasionally, for a consistent golden brown -- about 15 minutes.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, process coconut with egg white until finely ground and completely mixed. Press mixture into the bottoms and up the sides of the tart shells. Bake the shells until they just start to turn golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
4. To make the curd, mix yolks and sugar thoroughly in a medium saucepan. Add passionfruit puree, butter and salt. Put pan over medium heat and stir for about 15 minutes, until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
5. Immediately spoon passionfruit curd into the tart shells or put it in a container, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Top the tarts with candied orchids and serve. Makes 8 (3-inch) tarts or 12 (2-inch) tarts.
Recipe from "Cooking with Flowers" by Miche Bacher (Quirk, $24.95).