How to dress up the space at the foot of your bed
The focal point in a bedroom is almost always the bed itself. The headboard, coverlet or throw pillows get most of the attention décor-wise, but what you place at the foot of your bed can also offer visual interest and make better use of the space.
Unless space is extremely tight, most bedrooms have room for a finishing touch at the foot of the bed. Here are 10 options:
1. A BENCH Pick a bench with storage, and you'll not only have a place to tie your shoes, but you'll instantly have extra space for sheets and cozy throws.
2. A PAIR OF STOOLS For an upscale look, place a couple of stools side by side. This setup looks great and provides seating for two. For extra storage, look for stools with space under the cushions.
3. A DESK If space is not an issue, put a writing desk and chair at the end of the bed. It's a good spot to store tablets and cellphones at night. Top with a lamp for a complete look.
4. A LOVE SEAT These small, plush sofas are especially inviting at the end of the bed. Add a small table to create a cozy sitting area.
5. A TRUNK Antique or made-to-look-old trunks make perfect endpoints to a bed. Pair small trunks with twin beds or place a single large trunk to the foot of a queen or king bed. Use to store blankets and comforters.
6. AN ANTIQUE SEWING CABINET Not sure what to do with Grandma's old sewing machine cabinet? Place it at the foot of the bed like an end table. Or, top with a mirror. Voilà, you've got a unique dressing table!
7. A CONSOLE TABLE These narrow tables aren't just for foyers and hallways. Slim and unobtrusive, console tables are attractive and take up little space. From old world to contemporary, there's a style to fit any decor.
8. A PAIR OF CHAIRS Position an attractive set with a table between, and you've got an inviting conversation spot.
9. A TV CABINET With the touch of a button, you can entertain yourself by placing a TV cabinet with a lift system at the foot of the bed. Attractive models start at around $1,000.
10. BOOKSHELVES A single unit or two cases set side by side, bookshelves make clever replacements for footboards and can also be used to display artwork or keepsakes.