Holiday gifts that give back
Kathleen DiResta admits she had it easy. The Sea Cliff jewelry designer along with her husband and their 7-year-old son survived superstorm Sandy without much fuss.
They lost power for five days, but “it doesn’t compare to Long Beach and Rockaway,” she says. “We were lucky.”
She collected food and clothing at her gallery shop but wanted to do more. So she created a “Sun Circle” necklace, symbolizing a circle of friends and community, and will donate 20 percent of its sales to Island Harvest, L.I.’s largest hunger relief organization.
In Port Washington, designer Glenn Bradford felt a similar desire to make a difference. So now through Christmas, he is donating 5 percent of sales of jewelry in his shop to the Women’s Fund of Long Island for its Sandy relief efforts.
These are just two local artists who’ve found a way to make gift-giving this season have serious impact. Big corporations are getting in on the act, too.
Ikea has offered the American Red Cross $450,000 worth of donations, plus space in its Red Hook store for local shopkeepers to meet with FEMA officials to help get the neighborhood back in business. On Long Island, Ikea has donated batteries, pillows, footwear, coffee and more to local relief groups.
But it’s the lineup of plush, plucky soft toys on Ikea shelves that offers a subtle reminder — despite the blow suffered locally, there are also worthy causes serving communities outside Sandy’s reach, but just as much in need. Sales of Ikea soft toys, for instance, benefit UNICEF and Save the Children education programs in impoverished regions across the globe.
So how can you help? Check out these gifts that give back — to Long Island and beyond. -- Joseph V. Amodio, Special to Newsday
- | View all
Be the first to rate:Click to rate
More in Pets
- Celebrities and dogs -- and celebrity dogs
- Your pet photos
- 10 most pet-friendly U.S. cities for travelers
- Animals on the loose on LI, in NY
- Animals around the world
- X-Team: Spring Dog Weekend at Old Westbury Gardens
- Lyric Culture T-Shirts for dogs
- Louie the hero dog
- Baby animals
- Dog swallows 111 pennies
- Iditarod 2013
- Cat stars of the Internet
- 2013 Westminster dog show
- LI dogs competing at Westminster
- Lost LI cat returns home 3 years later
- Dogs catch Super Bowl fever
- AKC's top 20 dog breeds
- Puppy Bowl and Kitty Halftime Show
- Presidential pets
- The Grow Anywhere truck visits Brentwood 28 ways to wear white after Memorial Day
- 45 tech-savvy options in fashion Maternity style: Celeb tips for moms-to-be
- New placemat designs Summer swimwear trends for the whole family
- 18 tasty, healthy vegetarian recipes 5 Memorial Day weekend getaways
- Summer style: What's hot at Ooh La La boutiques 16 flavorful poultry recipes
- 17 grilling and barbecue recipes Kate Spade, 75 other new stores on LI
- What They're Wearing: UJA Spring Event Travel photographs from around the world
- Amtrak's Coast Starlight Celebrities and dogs -- and celebrity dogs
- Contemporary Furniture Fair highlights 6 must-sees in Prospect Park
- A budget-minded living and dining room makeover 17 seafood recipes for easy, restaurant-quality meals
- Shanghai, China 7 annuals that will grow tall in no time at all
- 7 great annuals for sunny spots Your pet photos