Feed Me

The dish on Long Island's restaurant and food scene.

Athens Grill, a Riverhead Greek restaurant devoted to local produce and fish, was destroyed on Friday night after a grease fire broke out in its kitchen. The fire occurred during dinner, but everyone in the restaurant was safely evacuated; no one was hurt.

The Riverhead dining community is coming together on owner John Mantzopoulos’ behalf. On Sunday, July 7, from 2 to 5 p.m., there will be a barbecue on the patio at the Riverhead Project to benefit Athens Grill. Dennis McDermott, the restaurant's owner, said “we want to show him support — and give him some money.”

advertisement | advertise on newsday

To that end, guests are requested to “bring a dish and bring a check” on Sunday. The Riverhead Project will be grilling burgers, chicken and steaks but will set up a 12-foot-lomg table to hold salads, side dishes and casseroles from the community.

The “Rebuilding Athens” benefit will go on rain or shine. The Riverhead Project is at 300 Main St., Riverhead, 631-284-9300.