Keep meds away from grandchildren

More than 60,000 children ages 5 and younger

More than 60,000 children ages 5 and younger are taken to the emergency room each year because they have swallowed prescription or over-the-counter drugs found in the home. (Credit: Bluestocking)

Travel deals

It may be a long time since you've kid-proofed your home, but if you have young grandchildren visiting or staying for an extended period this summer, it's time to think about their safety.

More than 60,000 children ages 5 and younger are taken to the emergency room each year because they have swallowed prescription or over-the-counter drugs found in the home. The government notes that even vitamins and supplements you may consider safe can cause harm to young children.

Before the grandkids come to visit, make sure your medicines, vitamins and supplements are out of sight and out of reach. Also make sure the vials or bottles are tightly closed.

In case of an emergency, call the National Capital Poison Center hotline at 800-222-1222. Experts answer the phones 24 hours a day.

For more information on keeping drugs out of the hands of children, go to upandaway.org.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Newsday on social media

@Newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday