Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, train show and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From classic Disney performances, Dickens, trains, toys and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Disney's The Little Mermaid at the Smithtown Center for Performing Arts (2 E. Main St., Smithtown). Watch your favorite characters from this classic Disney movie come to life on stage at 2 p.m. on Saturday. Price: $15.
2. Dickens Festival at the Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). The Dickens Festival will be taking place this weekend, and kids can enjoy hands-on, interactive exhibits such as building and decorating a mini-mag sled that you can test on a magnetic track. Also included: Watching real steam-powered ships set sail, hot cider and popcorn from 1-5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Price: $5
3. RR Lines Train and Toy Show at Plattduetsche Park Restaurant (1132 Hempstead Tpke., Franklin Square). A toy and train show, perfect for the holiday season from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. on Sunday. Price: $5, children younger than 12 free with parent.
4. Cinderella's Christmas at NYCB Theatre (960 Brush Hollow Rd., Westbury). Kids and adults alike will enjoy a Christmas musical with everyone's favorite princess at noon on Sunday. Price: $15.50-$25.50.
5. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe at YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts (37 W. Main St., Bay Shore). On Sunday at 2 p.m., enjoy a performance of this classic children's book written by C.S. Lewis. The s Price: $12.