Teen: I saw Jeffrey Conroy holding knife
Related mediaFor more on this story visit News12 Long Island Juror selection begins in Lucero case Lucero murder trial begins Jeffrey Conroy hate-crime case $entry.content.alttag
Speaking calmly as Jeffrey Conroy sat only a few feet away, one of four teenagers who admitted involvement in the death of Marcelo Lucero took the witness stand in Riverhead on Monday and described two nights of attacks on Hispanic men in Patchogue and Medford in November 2008.
"We were telling him to throw it," Hausch said. "He said he washed it off in a puddle.
"Someone said, 'Imagine if we get away with this.' I said we wouldn't."
Hausch's testimony Monday came after he pleaded guilty in November to first-degree gang assault and fourth-degree conspiracy. He also pleaded guilty to second-degree assault as a hate crime and second-degree attempted assault as a hate crime in connection with two other attacks earlier on Nov. 8, 2008.
Pressed by Keahon about his guilty plea, Hausch said he did not participate in assaults on Angel Loja and Hector Sierra before the attack on Lucero - even though the Loja and Sierra incidents were included in the plea.
"Were you guilty of that crime?" Keahon asked Hausch of the Loja attack.
After a long pause, Hausch said, "No ... I'm not guilty."
Referring to the earlier assault on Sierra, Keahon asked, "You did not have to plead guilty to that crime?"
"No," Hausch said after another pause.
When Keahon asked why he pleaded guilty, Hausch said, "I don't know."
As part of his plea, Hausch agreed to continue to cooperate with authorities, including possibly testifying at the trials of his co-defendants.
Prosecutors did not recommend a sentence, and Hausch - who has been out on bail - won't be sentenced until prosecution of the other six defendants is complete. Hausch faces 5 to 25 years in prison on the top charge.