Several Bayport-Blue Point High School students who recently returned from a trip to Spain have symptoms consistent with norovirus, district officials said Thursday.
A district spokeswoman released a letter to parents that said the source of the illness was possibly a contaminated “bottled water source provided abroad.”
District officials have spoken to all the students who went on the trip and the county health department had been notified, said the letter from Gaurav Passi, principal of Bayport-Blue Point High School in Bayport.
On Friday the district said Passi inadvertently said that students had contracted the virus. The district said the students only had displayed symptoms of the virus.
The letter said the high school has been “vigilant in its efforts to clean and disinfect surfaces on a regimented basis. As an added precaution, a deep cleaning of the entire building is planned for this weekend.”
The health department recommended any student exhibiting symptoms to “visit their doctor and remain out of school until symptom free for 48 hours,” the letter said. “Suspected cases should also be reported to the high school nurse’s office.”
The norovirus is highly contagious and causes “acute gastroenteritis,” the letter said.
The letter said some of the ailing students were slated to take Advanced Placement exams and school officials offered to reschedule those tests.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story stated the students had contracted norovirus.