Farmingdale State College turns 100
Farmingdale State College turns 100 this spring and, while it wades through the financial pressures of a tough economy, officials say they have much to celebrate as they mark the grand milestone. They consistently score high in national rankings and, despite the usual rumblings among faculty and students, officials say the college is fulfilling its mission of training the island's employees.
People celebrate Farmingdale State College's 100th anniversary and view the items dug up from the 1987 time capsule. (April 12, 2012)
The scene at the ceremony marking Farmingdale State College's 100th anniversary, where they dug up their 1987 time capsule. (April 12, 2012)
Two men look a one of the items found in the Farmingdale State College 1987 time capsule. (April 12, 2012)
Farmingdale State College president W. Hubert Keen talks about the the future. (April 12, 2012)
Farmingdale State College is a four-year SUNY school located on Route 110 and Conklin Avenue. The school was named one of the best colleges in the North in US News and World Report's 2011 rankings. (July 5, 2011)
Farmingdale State College President W. Hubert Keen stands in front of a poster "Historical Perspectives," an exhibition celebrating the college's 100th anniversary. (Feb. 24, 2012)
Walking past Ward Hall sometime during the 1980s, which were a vibrant time on campus. The college opened Gleeson Hall, the largest classroom building on campus.
In December of 1912, the university's first director, Albert A. Johnson, "was recommended by authorities in Washington, D. C. and duly elected as first Director of the School" (from Twenty-five Years of Progess, in the 20th Annual Banquet Alumni Association Program, October 25th, 1941).
Sporting events drew large crowds. Pictured here are cheerleaders with the team mascot, a ram. In 1948, Long Island Ag & Tech became one of the founding SUNY schools.
The class of 1923, when they were Freshmen in 1920. The Freshman Rules must be obeyed by all Freshman, whether regular or special students. The Freshman Rules Committee has the power of prolonging the duration of Frosh Rules if these are not abided by.
During the 1920's, the school grew under the leadership of Directors Johnson and Knapp. Here, an unidentified student in Bee Class, app. 1921.
1919 Football team with Coach Fred M. Walker and mascot.
Original Architects Model of Campus This photo of the model shows many structures that were never built, including a student residence complex on the left and a faculty and staff complex on the right. Also, mirror images of Hicks and Cutler Halls were planned, but never came to be.
In the earliest years at Farmingdale, technology revolved around farming. The course of study included Farm Crops, Soil Fertility, Dairying and Animal Husbandry, Forestry and Beekeeping, Olericulture and Fruit Growing, Farm Mechanics and Farm Management, among other things. Here, an early student is shown riding a Cletrac Tractor, circa 1920.
Main Entrance on "Higway" Melville Road, circa 1920.
The original heating plant building. It is now Conklin Hall. undated
Cutler Hall which, with Hicks Hall, were originally called the Horticulture and Agronomy Buildings. They were both constructed in 1914. Both buildings have WPA murals painted by local artist Frederick Marshall in 1936.
The portico at Hicks Hall.
Hicks and Cutler Halls were originally called the Horticulture and Agronomy Buildings. They were both constructed in 1914. The front of Hicks has a portico (first picture), while Cutler has columns that are set flush with the facade (second picture). The picture with the leaning telephone pole shows the back of the buildings, with Cutler on the left, and Hicks on the right. Both buildings have WPA murals painted by local artist Frederick Marshall in 1936.
About 60 students, the first to arrive on campus in 1916. The buildings are not yet completed, so male students have to sleep in the top floor of the Power House (now Conklin Hall) and women stay in Mott House. The school did not formally open until fall of 1916.