Where are Long Island's best and worst teachers?

A class of 11th grade regent chemistry students A class of 11th grade regent chemistry students at Island Trees High School in Levittown, May 9, 2014. Photo Credit: Uli Seit

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Every parent has strong opinions about their child's teachers but what does the data tell us?

The New York State Education Department released teacher and principal effectiveness ratings this week. Fifty-seven percent of Long Islands educators were rated highly effective and a quick glance at our map and database shows the districts where they can be found in especially high proportions.

In particular, 98 percent of teachers and principals received the highly effective rating in Great Neck. The other 2 percent were effective. Tap on the link below and then the district at the western edge of Long Island to bring up its figures.

Herricks had the same numbers, tying Great Neck for the highest marks on the Island.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Roosevelt had the highest percentage of ineffective educators on the Island with 10 percent, according to the state. Hempstead (9 percent) and Fishers Island (7 percent) were next.

The results, which are for the 2012-13 school year, come from the Education Department's new evaluation system, which uses students' progress on state tests as a key measure of teacher effectiveness. On Long Island, 40.6 percent of educators were rated effective, 2.2 percent were graded as developing or less than fully effective and just 0.4 percent were deemed ineffective.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

App users, tap on the link below to see the results for your district. Clicking on the boxes next to the map will allow you to change the color coding to sort results with the different ratings.

The state suppressed data for some of the Islands small districts so that individuals could not be identified.

The best of Newsday everyday in your inbox. Get the Newsday Now newsletter!

You also may be interested in: