Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Feeding the kids: Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Quick Bread
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a delicious pepperoni appetizer, perfect for the Super Bowl. I found the recipe in "The Picky Palate Cookbook: 133 Recipes for Even Your Pickiest Eaters" (Wiley Hardcover, $24.99).
Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Quick Bread
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-2 large eggs
-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
-3/4 cup buttermilk
-1 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
-1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
-1 cup quartered pepperoni slices, about 32 slices
-1/2 cup marinara sauce
-1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and baking soda to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix to combine. Slowly add the eggs and olive oil, mixing until just combined. Add the buttermilk, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the Parmesan cheese and the pepperoni and mix until just combined.
3. Pour half of the batter into the prepared bread pan. Top evenly with the marinara sauce, then pour the remaining batter over the sauce. Top with the Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
4. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. Slice the bread and serve warm or at room temperature.
5. Enjoy as an appetizer or with soup and salad.