Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Weekend family fun on Long Island: 'High School Musical 2,' maritime festival, crafts and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a "High School Musical 2" performance to Mother's Day crafts, festivals and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Kids Craft for Mother's Day at Hallockville Museum Farm (6038 Sound Ave., Riverhead). On Saturday from 2-3:30 p.m., children ages 6-10 with a parent or guardian can create a handmade wooden flower keepsake, a perfect gift for Mother's Day. All materials and instruction are provided. Price: $15.
2. Peconic Family Fun Day at Children's Museum of the East End (376 Bridgehampton / Sag Harbor Tpke., Bridgehampton). Kids and adults alike can check out exhibit, workshops, activities and two easy-paced nature walks where you can check out birds, butterflies, frogs, turtles and more on Saturday from 10 a.m.-noon. Price: Free.
3. Boater's Maritime Festival at Harborfront Park (101-A East Broadway Village Center, Port Jefferson. On Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m.-6 p.m., families can enjoy a boat show with water activities, boat building, a touch tank, food, entertainment and pirates. Price: Free.
4. High School Musical 2 at Dix Hills Performing Arts Center (305 N. Service Rd., Dix Hills). A theatrical performance adapted from the original Disney movie, two high school juniors from opposing cliques resist peer pressure and rivalry. Show times are Saturday at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., and Sunday at noon and 3 p.m. Price: $10.
5. Family Nature: Who Lives in the Ground? at Bailey Arboretum (194 Bayville Rd. and Feeks Lane, Lattingtown). On Sunday at 2 p.m., come search for amphibians and other creatures of the forest. Price: Donation